6.10.09

Getting ready for my next vacation...

Don't quite know why these pictures from the Cincinnati WTA tennis tournament ended up here. I'll have to see who i emailed them to from my phone.

Rereading my own deathless prose, i see back in 2007, Greyhound only required a 7-day advance notice to get the cheapest rate of $140 round-trip. This time the round-trip ticket cost $154 with 21-day advance notice, $230 with 14-day advance notice, and $318 with 7-day advance notice. Greyhound Road Rewards discount program gave me 10% off! so i gave them a 22-day advance notice and got my ticket for $138.

I suppose i ought to add that i found round-trip flights for $148, with fees and taxes $187, but i don't fly. The only flight i've ever taken, to Los Angeles in 1994, went just fine...once i took tranquilizers! The fact that all the airports had just gone totally non-smoking didn't help.

I also have slowly realized that Greyhound has changed how they serve this midwest route to Florida. in the past, the route thru Chillicothe goes south near the east coast, thru South Carolina and Jacksonville. now that route seems to be northbound only; so i will board in Chillicothe, go north to Columbus, then go south thru Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Orlando. that route always existed in the past, both northbound and southbound, but maybe it's only southbound now. so this year i'll go south by a different route, but come back home by the same route i used to travel both ways.

There's layovers in both Columbus and Cincinnati, so 6 hours after I board i'll only be 1-1/2 hours from home! my work associates have urged me to call Greyhound and see if i can't just board in Cincinnati at 10a rather than Chillicothe at 5a, which is a good idea.

No comments: