5.3.06

Thursday 2 Mar 06 --2

a few more words about the St. Lucie County Fair...

I ran into this scrawny old guy who was talking to himself before i accidently got into earshot. I figured he was ancient, about 80. he told me all about his life, about going to Viet Nam (brought up by the fact that a vendor was offering helicopter rides around the fairgrounds for $10 until well after dark--helicoptors, it seems, bring up memories pleasant and otherwise in 'Nam vets), and later getting run over by a car, anyway eventually he told me he was born in 1945 and i realised that he was only 7 years older than me...and all of us! I'm sure we have all worn a little better, tho. he did give me a beer, so i didn't have to buy one. i was looking for where they were sold, i'd never seen beer and wine at a county fair before.

My underserved reputation for cheapness precedes me, so my parents were warning me that it would cost $8 to get in to the fair, tho they had free passes because they were working. well la-de-dah! they just by amazing coincidence worked at the fair on Dollar Night!

No comments: